Wednesday, January 18, 2012

If I ...

If I was to be what I wanted to be, I can say it wouldn’t be this
I would have encompassed the stars spanning out through the universe
And laid claim to the sunsets that lead into night
A life filled with great journeys

If I was to be what I thought I might be, I can say it wouldn’t be this
I would have been made of chaff and hard shells that cut fingers
And asked questions with endless enquiry never stopping for answers
A life filled ironically with space

If I could say what I am today, I can say that it wouldn’t be that
I’m made of long roads I travelled down slowly
And of those who promised forever but were gone by the morning
A life full of quiet choices made carelessly

If I can say what I am today, I can say that I’m more than all that.

3 comments:

  1. Jo-Anne, this is so rip-your-heart-out poignant. It hits me right where I live--in that great big puddle of doubt and questioning and hope. I have no coherent feedback for you other than to say (a) you need to write more poetry (and believe me, that's not something I say to everyone), and (b) the line "I would have made of chaff and hard shells that cut fingers" is maybe one of my favourite lines ever, and I wish I'd written it.

    And, yes. You are more than all that.

    Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete